March 27, 2010

How NOT to Scare the Living Daylights out of Mommy

It was 3 a.m. when I head a cry so terrifying, so passionate, so committed . . . surely something unspeakable, unimaginable, and unfathomable was taking place in my 2YO’s bedroom! With one eye open, the other still in dreamland, I jump out of bed, heart pounding, and begin sprinting with my still-purple big toe toward her bedroom.  Furiously running, I tread through a toy-obstacle-course, dodging baby gates, using storybooks on the floor as stepping-stones, and eventually high jumping over the mountain of once-folded laundry that toddler-girl had unfolded in an effort to “help.” Finally, I make it to her room. 

There she was sitting up in her bed: big eyes, frazzled hair, and mouth still exhorting a yell worthy of  the Guinness Book of World Records for the loudest screams. 
"What's wrong? Are you okay?" I ask, my eyes frantically scanning the room. To my surprise: NO, there were no monsters under the bed; No not-so-itsy-bitsy-spider dangling above her head; No clowns hiding behind the curtains; So what was this terrible culprit causing my little girl to shriek at a volume that made mommy's heart palpitate out of her chest?
“MOMMY! My cover is on da floor. I need you to tuck me back in!”
“Child! Are you telling me that you screamed like that because your cover is on the floor!?!?!?!?!?!?”

To think that last night I stayed up till 2a.m. looking for resources that would aid in teaching my child to read. Instead, I think we need to work on two more pertinent lessons: 1.) how to tuck ourselves back in bed should our blanket fall on the floor. And 2.) how NOT to scream so we don’t scare the living daylights out of Mommy.


Thanks all who are voting for me in the Top Mommy Blogs by clicking the top right button. You can vote 1x per day : )

Posted by Laura   

No comments: